Darrandirra, meaning “All of Us,” will be a Child and Family Centre (CFC) for all children, youth, and families in the Northern Suburbs.
In collaboration with local service providers, and in line with needs identified by the local community, we aim to improve access to a range of flexible outreach services along with place-based programs and activities to help promote child and family wellbeing.
What does Darrandirra do?
Our team aims to assist and support families experiencing or at risk of vulnerability to address their needs, strengthen community leadership and capacity to support families to raise children, and put in place strong, accountable, and sustainable systems for improving child and family wellbeing. This includes:
- Warm referrals to other services
- Facilitating access to other services and programs
- Identifying community needs and facilitating a community-led approach towards the operations
- Providing community spaces for community use
- Brokering a Child and Family Community Fund
All programs and activities will be child and family-focused, safe, fun, and sensitive to cultural diversity. Our “no wrong door” approach means that no matter what support you require, or what service you are already connected with, you can still be supported through Darrandirra.
Children, youth, and families can access a range of support and wellbeing activities, including;
- Information and help to access a range of services in our community (e.g. housing, education, health).
- Outreach support through our team and community partners
- Care coordination or case management to navigate support systems
- Early Child Development and learning
- Life Skills programs
- A fun, safe, and engaging place to play and connect with others
- Interactive activities and programs
How we work:
- Strengths-based: Individual, family, and community strengths are central to supporting you to reach your goals.
- Person-centred: You are the expert in your own life and are empowered to make decisions.
- Culturally Safe: Programs, activities, and services delivered are inclusive of everybody.
- Relationally based: Our relationships with everyone accessing our services are very important
- Family and Community focused: Community-led decision-making around the service and activities offered at the Centre.
- Darrandirra services, centred on children, youth, and families, are inclusive and integrated with strong stakeholder partnerships promoting a “no wrong door” approach.
- We are committed to delivering evidence-based, trauma-informed services tailored to the strengths and needs of individuals and families.
- We are committed to prevention and early intervention.
- Community-led decision-making is central to the operation of the Darrandirra Centre.
Darrandirra centre was named by the Larrakia people, the custodians of the land where we live and work. The team at Darrandirra CFC thank Larrakia Nation for their assistance in the naming of our centre and the designing of the logo.
Darrandirra CFC forms part of a wider network of CFCs extending across the Northern Territory. In April 2020, CAAPS were delighted to be informed that we had been selected as the preferred provider for the Child and Family Centre through the Reform Management Office (RMO), Northern Territory Government. Launching in April 2021, all of Darrandirra’s activities will continue to be overseen by a Leadership Group consisting of members from Darwin ACCOS. CAAPS will also be participating in the evaluation of the centre through the Australian Institute of Family Studies (AIFS)
How can I access Darrandirra?
At the moment (whilst the site is being developed) Darrandirra is operating as an outreach model throughout the Northern Suburbs of Darwin
Our key workers are available Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, you can contact us to arrange a suitable time and place for them to meet you.
You can also download the Darrandirra brochure here.
How much does it cost?
Darrandirra is a free service.
How old do I need to be to access Darrandirra?
Darrandirra services are available for all ages! Please contact us to discuss your needs and the options available for you or your family.
Where can I drop in to see you?
Our drop-in centre isn’t open yet. For now, the Darrandirra team will come out to meet you at a suitable location.
What if I am already working with another service?
No problem! You can still be supported by Darrandirra. We can also work with you to help coordinate your care in a way that suits you best, if you are involved with a number of services.